Michael Hearst came by to sign copies of his new children’s book, Unusual Creatures, today. We decided to compile a list of all the valuable things he taught us.
1. Wombats poop cubes. No, really! They have “special muscles” that enable them to leave their droppings on rocks and logs, as signposts. Flat sides mean the signposts won’t roll away. Amazing. (Though, I’d rather use GPS.)
2. Michael Hearst is a rock star. His musical instruments include claviola, theremin, guitar, piano, drums and bass, and he’s a founding member of the group One Ring Zero. Among their albums is one called As Smart as We Are, which includes lyrics contributed by Paul Auster, Margaret Atwood, Jonathan Lethem, A.M. Homes, Neil Gaiman, Rick Moody and Dave Eggers.
3. Michael Hearst is a Rock Star. I’m not kidding. This guy loves music.
4. Michael likes potato chips.
5. He does a podcast with Rick Moody called 18:59. 18:59 is the amount of time it took the Chinese food they ordered to show up to their first recording. Silly boys.
6. The Sun really orbits the Earth after all. Okay, I made this one up.
7. But seriously. Unusual Creatures is worth checking out if, like me, you’ve lost sleep wondering what this is.